This guide will help you choose a perfect rubber sole safety shoes.
It covers all the vital information you have been looking for.
Keep reading to learn more.
What are Rubber Sole Safety Shoes?
These are safety shoes with rubber soles.
Also referred to as rubber sole safety footwear, they are suitable for hazardous environments. The shoes have strong soles and toe caps to minimize injuries.
What type of Applications are Rubber Sole Safety Shoes best suited for?
Rubber-soled safety shoes are used in hazardous environment such as:
- Construction sites
- Mining sites
- Metalworks sites
- Cold stores
- Welding sites
- Health care
It’s worth noting, different shoes are meant for different conditions. They are graded differently depending on the conditions they have been fabricated for.
For instance, factory safety shoes are different from the ones used in the kitchen – they should have slip-resistant soles.
Rubber sole safety shoes are identified by unique symbols on the sole. Grades include; SB, S2, S3, S4, S5 among others.
What are the Features of Rubber Sole Safety Shoes?
For starters, it’s critical to carry out hazard assessment tests for your workplace. This helps you determine how your employees are exposed to foot injury risks and the best way to protect them.
While considering features, be very specific on quality, bearing in mind that you get what you pay for. If you spend less, you’ll get poor quality, lose money and still be at risk of getting injured.
One basic element that can help you determine the quality of a safety shoe is the toe cap.
Rubber sole safety shoes should be:
- Puncture resistant
- Electric hazards (EH) rate – the sole should reduce electric shock when exposed to an open circuit.
- Comfortable enough to walk in.
- Chemical resistant soles
- A perfect fit
- Heat resistant
- Tough enough to withstand your work environment
What are the Advantages of Rubber Sole Safety Shoes?
The main benefits of rubber sole safety footwear include:
- Not easily fractured.
- Has stable shrinkage.
- Has goods softness.
- Doesn’t break easily.
- Malleable hence can be bend into any shape.
- It’s waterproof.
- It’s elastic.
- Has goods stretch.
- It doesn’t corrode the environment.
- It’s resistant to wear.
Do Rubber Sole Safety Shoes provide any Protection?
Yes, they do. Rubber sole safety footwear offer protection against:
- Puncture caused by sharp objects.
- Have a tough toe cap that protects you against falling objects such as debris.
- Rubber-soled shoes have a grip that protects you from slipping in muddy, wet, and slippery areas.
- If working with cutting machinery, rubber-soled shoes will protect you from the cut.
- Rubber sole shoes are comfortable hence prevent fatigue caused by long working hours.
- Safeguard against electrocution.
- Rubber sole shoes may protect you against burns if dealing with harmful chemicals.
- A high-temperature environment like factories and mining sites.
How do you attach Rubber Sole to the Upper of Safety Shoes?
Sole construction is a term used to describe the process of joining the sole to the upper of safety shoes. The bond between the upper and outer sole defines the quality of shoes, and poor bonding leads to shoe failure.
There are various sole construction methods which include:
- Vulcanizing – the upper and the outer sole are bonded together using a band of soft rubber. You then press and heat in a vulcanizing oven and give it time to cool.
- Goodyear welt construction– here upper is secured to the sole using the sewing method, adhesive is also used to join the two. It’s the most exhaustive shoe-making process mostly used on men’s shoes.
- Cement construction– Firm adhesive is used to attach the upper, insole and outer sole then pressed together. Such shoes are lightweight, malleable, and beautiful.
How does Rubber Sole Safety Shoes compare to Soft Sole Safety Shoes?
There is a thin line between the rubber sole and soft sole safety shoes. More often than not, people confuse the two because they look similar.
Here are the characteristics they share;
- They are soft.
- Are lightweight.
- Have warm lining
- Are metal-free
- Have non-marking outsole
- Are bendable.
Which Types of Rubber Sole Safety Shoes are available?
You can get the following rubber sole safety shoes in the market:
- Chemical protection
- Outdoor activities
- Women safety shoes
- Laboratory shoes
- Ankle boots
- Mechanical protection
However, the above safety shoes come in different brands hence different prices.
Are Rubber Sole Safety Shoes Available in Different Colors?
Absolutely. Initially, Rubber sole safety shoes were in neutral colors but, nowadays they come in different colors.
You better be sure which one you want because you’ll be spoiled for choice.
What are the Restrictions of Rubber Sole Safety Shoes?
Rubber sole shoes come with the following limitations:
- They are not oil resistant.
- Are heavy
- Prone to quality issues
- Not hard hence they are easily pierced
- Have color inconsistency
- Have poor air permeability
- Substances can easily penetrate
- They absorb moisture
How do you Protect Rubber Sole Safety Shoes?
Choosing the right rubber safety shoes for your work environment is half the battle. The other half is to safeguard them.
Here are some guidelines on how to protect your rubber sole safety footwear:
- Use them for the right purpose; only wear them while necessary.
- Don’t use any detergent to clean them, not even mild ones.
- Clean them after every use.
- Don’t place them under direct sunlight.
- Replace them when they wear out i.e. when they have exposed toe caps, in case of any cracks or cuts.
Are Rubber Sole Safety Shoes better than Wedge Sole Safety Boots?
Well, both safety boots serve their purpose. However, wedge sole safety boots are stronger, tougher, and more durable than rubber sole safety shoes.
On the flip side, wedge soles are heavier than rubber soles. Therefore, it all depends on your taste, preference, and purpose of your safety shoes.
Are Rubber Sole Safety Shoes Electric Hazard (EH) rated?
Yes, they are. Rubber-soled safety shoes are very safe.
They reduce the possibility of electric hazard when the sole is subjected to an open circuit. However insulating properties reduce if the shoes are worn out, wet or have metallic particles in between the sole
Apart from ASTM F2412, what other Safety Standards do Rubber Sole Safety Shoes adhere to?
Rubber-soled safety shoes should comply with the following regulations:
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- EN ISO 20345- It states the minimum requirements for safety shoes. It also covers different protection levels.
- American National Standard Institute (ANSI)
What is the SB rating for Rubber Sole Safety Shoes?
First thing first you need to understand rubber sole safety shoes serve different purposes, such as slip resistance, puncture resistance, water resistance, etc.
Therefore, there is no specific SB rating for rubber-soled shoes.
Nevertheless, the toe cap of safety standards should withstand 200joules impact. This is the basic level.
There are other standards used alongside SB rating such as SB-FO etc.
How do you know which Rubber Sole Safety Shoes Sizes to order?
Rubber sole safety shoes come in different fittings. However, picking the right size can be challenging.
Buying online can be a nightmare especially with many brands today each measuring shoe sizes differently. Therefore, here are a few guides on how to choose the right size of rubber sole safety shoes.
- Place your heel against a wall or a flat surface.
- Measure from the wall to the edge of your longest toe.
- Record and repeat two more times on each foot.
- Get the average then add 5mm to get the size of your foot. The 5mm is breathing space especially for people whose feet swell while working.
- Select size from the chart below. Let’s say the average size was 240+5mm= 245. From the chart below, 245 is size 4 UK and size 5 US.
Are Rubber Sole Safety Shoes Available in Gendered Designs and Sizes?
A while back, safety shoes were only worn by men. Today due to gender equality, women are also wearing them.
Some wear them for work purposes others for fashion. You can access rubber-soled safety in your preferred gender, design, or size.
Which is better, a Steel Toe or a Composite Toe for Rubber Sole Safety Shoes?
As stated earlier, you choose safety shoes bases on your work environment. This also applies to the toe cap as well.
The toe cap must withstand the impact and compression of a place. Impact tests the reaction of a shoe if something falls on it while compression tests what happens if something rolls on the shoes.
Below are the differences between steel and composite toe:
- Weight- Steel toe is made of metal while composite is made of lighter materials like plastic and fiberglass hence steel toe is heavier. This means wearing safety shoes with steel toe caps is tedious due to the weight compared to composite.
- Winter- Steel metal is a thermal conductor hence your feet will freeze. Composite toe on the other hand is made of plastic which is a good thermal insulator; your feet may be warm.
- Protection- Steel toe offers better protection than composite does because it handles more impact.
- Steel toe conducts electricity, this is an issue if work with metals and high voltage. It also sets off metal detectors.
On the other hand, composite doesn’t conduct electricity. Its best used in an environment with metals.
- Steel toe is cheaper than the composite toe.
We can’t really say which one is better than the other. It all narrows down to your working environment.
What Types of Lacing Systems are there for Rubber Sole Safety Shoes?
Choosing a pair of rubber-soled safety shoes is not the end game. You need to consider the lacing system.
Below are common lacing systems you can use:
- Lock Laces– are simple and easy to use. They come in handy for people who can’t bend due to health issues or age. Comes in different shapes, they are also affordable.
- YKK zippers- these lacing systems can be used on garments and shoes as well. They are easy to use.
- Velcro- comes in a wide variety of quality. They have fireproof hooks and laces.
- Laces- these are classic, efficient, and economical.
- Boa system- it’s quite costly however it’s easy to close and open.
Are Rubber Sole Safety Shoes Oil and Acid Resistant?
Not all types of rubber sole safety shoes are oil and acid resistant.
However, some such as Neoprene and Nitrile, are resistant to oil, while EPMD EPM, Neoprene, and Viton are acid-resistant.
While choosing rubber-soled safety shoes, consider the nature of your workplace.
Do Rubber Sole Safety Shoes come with a Warranty?
Yes, they do. If you feel your purchase is not up to standards, contact the company you ordered from within 6 months – 1 year from the purchase date.
This will vary depending on the type of work boots you buy from us.
We can guarantee that our rubber sole safety shoes have passed all the quality standards.
We can share the test report upon your request.
How much does Rubber Sole Safety Shoes cost?
We can’t really give you an exact figure. However, most rubber safety shoes range from $20-$100. Nevertheless, the value could be more or less depending on the:
- Type of safety shoes you choose,
- Materials used to design the shoes
- Your working environment
Worth noting, cheap shoes may provide minimum safety requirements and vice versa is true.
What is the MOQ of Rubber Sole Safety Shoes?
Our MOQ varies from 500-1000 to pairs.
This will depend on the type and design of rubber sole safety shoes.
We can discuss with your team on how to get flexible MOQ. This is because we are here to support your safety shoes business.
Also, we support OEM partnership.
How do you Clean and Maintain Rubber Sole Safety Shoes?
Safety shoes are still shoes hence they need to be cleaned. Rubber sole safety shoes can be of goods quality however how you maintain them can lengthen or shorten their lifespan.
Cleaning depends on the material of the shoes and how dirty they are. Leather and suede are common materials used to design safety shoes.
Here’s how to clean them:
- Remove dirt or mud first.
- Clean them after every use.
- If safety shoes are made of leather, polish then use a leather preservative. If made of suede, brush them then use a water-resistant spray to treat them.
- Clean both in and outsole to improve performance i.e. slip-resistant shoes.
- Keep the shoes in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight. Let them dry completely to get rid of mildew that may result in an awful smell.
While cleaning your safety shoes, avoid using any solvent, it might be too harsh on the shoes. Also, don’t force dry your shoes or place them under direct sunlight they may crack.
This is common with leather shoes.
This is the general way of cleaning safety shoes. It’s advisable to check the recommendation given by your manufacturer. Different brands have different specifications.
How do you Test for Quality for Rubber Sole Safety Shoes?
The quality test is mainly done in the laboratory to determine the standard of shoes and detect errors.
Below are some of the machines used and the tests they do:
- Abrasion resistance testing machine- tests abrasion degree of outsole material.
- Dielectric resistance testing machine- tests the separation of the shoe material. It checks whether it will maintain its value within the given time frame.
- Antistatic feature testing machine- it ascertains safety shoes antistatic resistance.
- Shoe flex testing machine- it determines flexibility and resistance of the shoe. It makes movements under specific angles hence can easily indicate cracks on the shoes.
- Tear strength testing machine- tests materials’ ability to resist tearing.
- Upper and outsole bond strength machine- test the attachment between the outsole and upper of a shoe.
- Safety footwear impact testing machine- carries out the impact-resistant test.
- Penetration resistant testing machine- determines whether substances can slip into the shoes.
- Tensile strength testing machine- determines the strength of tensile and the elements of the fabric used.
As a leading safety shoe and work boot manufacturer, Huaerxin Company offers a range of sole options including TPU sole shoes, soft sole safety shoes, wedge sole safety shoes, and PU sole safety shoes.
Contact us now for all your rubber sole safety shoes.